Monday, June 3, 2013

Inseparable (2011)

Inseparable is a movie that I had sitting in my Netflix Instant Play Que for a pretty long time. Last night was one of those nights where we were looking for something to watch and Kevin Spacey caught our attention. Both my husband and I are huge Spacey fans, which is probably how Inseparable ended up in my Que to begin with. Because most people probably haven't seen this one, I'm not going to give a full synopsis but I will give you my take on on the flick.

My Take

For starters, the movie is subtitled the entire way through, spoken in both Chinese and English. So if you can stand that, you're off to a good start. The main character, Li (the very talented Daniel Wu), is facing some personal demons and has come to a turning point in his life. Do I end it all or go on living in misery? A new friend happens to show up just at the right moment. The new friend, played my future ex-beau Kevin Spacey, (don't worry, we'll always be friends) gives Li a new outlook on life. They team up as a superhero duo and try to right the wrongs they feel have been the burden of common man. Eventually Li begins to question Chuck (played by Spacey) about his motives. Who is he, where does he come from, etc. And that is where the conflict begins. There are clues throughout the film that lead you to the inevitable conclusion of events, but the joyride it takes is worth the wait. 

Daniel Wu and Kevin Spacey make an interesting pair, to say the least. There is something charming and warm about Wu. Spacey's character is sarcastic and pushy. Together they make it work. So much so that when they don their superhero costumes, it actually makes sense. The themes of friendships, relationships, need, loneliness, and mental health were not lost on me. But I appreciate the writers and director not beating me over the head with it. It was easy enough to identify with a person who just wanted to fix things so badly he temporarily loses his touch with reality, I didn't need a PSA on top of it. So I commend the decisions made in production. Well done.

The Verdict

I give the movie 4/5 superheroes. I really enjoyed it, but I recognize it's not for everyone. But if you want to see Kevin Spacey running around in superhero tights, this one is for you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment