Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Turn Me On, Dammit! (2011)

Turn Me On, Dammit!

Isn't that the best title ever for a coming of age film? Everyone can relate to that. Turn me on! This was a great foreign film about teen sex and sexual awakenings. To this reviewer, it was a more honest approach than any American movies I've seen lately about teenagers coming to terms with their sexual feelings.

My Take

The film is set in a Skoddeheimen, Norway. I know nothing about Norwegian life, but this town could have represented any rural area in America. One in which everyone knows everyone. The kids all know each other but still form their social clicks. The parents are hard working and not oblivious on purpose. The neighbors are elderly and nosy. Any typical small town.

The main character, Alma, is fifteen and has a very healthy fantasy life. It ranges from innocent to a little naughty to downright X rated. There is an incident at party in which Alma tells the truth and Artur (her crush) lies about what happens between them. Teen politics force Alma to become an outsider. She sticks to her guns, though, and refuses to recant her story. Furthermore, her mother discovers that Alma has been calling a phone sex line which alienates her even more.

It seems that everywhere Alma turns, she can't help the urges she has yet has no one to talk to or express them with. So she does what any frustrated, isolated, angry, lonely teenager would do. She runs away. Of course this action forces the resolution. And I do so hate giving away endings...

I can't say enough good things about this movie. It has won several well deserved awards, which doesn't usually impress me but this time I am happy to see them go to the right film. I will agree that it isn't for everyone. Obviously there is a lot of sexual content and it is about teenagers which could make a person uncomfortable. Some of the actors were only 16, but maybe the laws are different in Norway than they are here. I know that America is a very prude country in comparison to others. So watch at your own discretion.

The Verdict

Overall I give the movie 4/5 popcorn tubs. I loved this movie, but it isn't for everyone. It is a foreign film, a coming of age film, and features young people in sexual situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment