Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Smashed (2012)

Smashed is a little film from director/writer James Ponsoldt and writer Susan Burke. I caught it on cable the other night and wondered why I hadn't seen it in theaters. I know that independent films rarely get the wide release that they deserve and I think that's a shame. The public ends up missing out those rare gems that make independent films so satisfying. But then I suppose a wide release would take away the intimacy that independent films have garnered over the years. And that would take away that special feeling you get when you watch something really personal. Smashed was one of those films for me.

I really enjoy films that are about personal journeys. Personal journeys are something everyone can relate to. We may not all go through the exact same situation, and movies are generally dramatized for our benefit, but we all know someone or have ourselves been in a time or at a place in our lives in which we can feel for the characters on screen.

The Premise

Kate and Charlie are happily married and are feeling no pain. Everything is bliss until Kate has an awakening and decides it is time to sober up. Sobriety tests her marriage, job and her way of life. With help from new friends, Kate finds the strength to conquer her addiction and tries to make a new life for herself.

My Take

Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays Kate, the first grade teacher with a drinking problem. She goes to sleep drunk and treats her hangovers with a bit of the "hair of the dog". She is married to Charlie, played by Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul. Together they form a co-dependent couple that are as married to each other as they are to alcohol. I don't know if Aaron and Mary were able to get to know each other prior to filming, but they were absolutely believable as a married couple. They shared glances, touches, and smiles just like a real couple. It made the escalation of events and the eventual breakdown of their marriage more believable.

Mary does an excellent job with all the emotions involved in playing Kate. She is a joyful amnesiac when drinking and mournful and guilt ridden when facing her demons. She plays Kate with perfect courage and anxiety. She made me feel for her. I couldn't help but think, "Poor dear," every time something else bad happened. That's the sign of a good actress. One that can pull you into a story.

I read some comments saying that Aaron Paul was playing his character Jesse Pinkman (from Breaking Bad) instead of portraying Charlie. I disagree. I think that Charlie had some similarities to Jesse, which may be why Aaron was cast, but there were differences between Aaron's character on Breaking Bad and his character on Smashed. Aaron is a kinder, gentler man as Charlie. He is in love with his wife, his life and his addiction. Charlie is happy and hopeful for his future. I think the biggest difference comes in toward the end of the film when Kate has her relapse. Charlie tries his best to calm her down. That was my favorite moment for Aaron in this movie. He was desperate, scared and the realization of his wife's problems finally hit him full force.

The supporting cast includes Megan Mullally as the inappropriately over involved school principle. I think she was great. It was an understated role that went to very funny lady. Octavia Spencer, whom I know most recently from The Help, was Kate's AA sponsor. And, finally, Nick Offerman rounds out the cast as the creepy vice principle that originally offers to help Kate.

The Verdict

Smashed was a story about one woman's struggle with sobriety. As far as I could see, it was very well done. Because Kate chose AA, I think it would have been helpful to see her go through some of the steps. For example, does Kate ever try to make up with her mom? I would have liked to see a little more story line with Kate and Charlie's marriage as it changed. But I did like the way the film ended. I felt that the conversation during the croquet game at the end had a bit of a double meaning. If so, I got it. I give Smashed 10/12 wickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment