Friday, October 4, 2013

25 Movies You Should Watch This Halloween

I thought I would compile a list of movies you should add to your "Must Watch" list of Halloween movies this October. I want to invite you, my readers, to add any movies you love in the comment section. From that comment section, and comments I get on FaceBook and Twitter, I will compile an additional list. See? I listen to you guys! Here we go!

In No Particular Order You Should Watch:

Halloween (1978)
Duh! Who hasn't seen this classic? It is an absolute must! It changed the face of all horror movies and was done on the budget of an independent film. Just goes to show that you can do great things with a small amount of money. It is also a lesson in self defense for every babysitter.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The zombie movie that started all zombie movies and another movie made with very little money. It accidentally added to the commentary on racial tensions in America at the time by casting a black actor in the lead role that ultimately had control over the white actors.

Pumpkinhead (1988)
The story of a man seeking revenge for his fallen son. This is a personal favorite of my husband. Some teenagers accidentally kill a man's son so he conjures up a demon in order to seek vengeance. But vengeance comes with a steep price.

Young Frankenstein (1974)
I love this movie. It is my absolute favorite Mel Brooks comedy. You can only deny your heritage for so long. And poor Dr. Frankenstein finally succumbs to who he really is in the most fantastically funny way in Young Frankenstein.

Jeepers Creepers (2001)
I like this movie because it was an original idea at the time. They set the scene just right so that it wasn't cheesy or goofy. It was suspenseful and interesting and cast very well. In fact I just watched it again last night.

Beetlejuice (1988)
I make no apologies for loving this movie. Everyone has their guilty pleasures and this is one of mine. I saw it as a kid and thought that it was creepy and silly. As an adult I think that it's goofy and funny. But my kids love it so I still get to watch it. Just don't say his name three times!

Trick 'r Treat (2007)
I don't think very many people have seen this movie. I like this one. It had four separate stories that end up all coming together. It's one of those movies that I can't say too much about because I would give too much away, but it's worth a watch.

Scream (1996)
"What's your favorite scary movie?" This movie made the ghost face mask a favorite Halloween costume for years. It made fun of the 'rules' of scary movies and set new standards for new generations to live up to.

Poltergeist (1982)
A movie about a family plagued with problems turned cast plagued with catastrophe. Creepy!

The Thing (1982)
I remember watching this movie with my dad. I love this movie! The special effects were amazing for the time. It was a scary idea during the Cold War. People were not who you thought they were. It was a movie about hiding in plain sight. The 2011 version was pretty good, too.

An American Werewolf in London (1981)
I love special effects, in case you haven't noticed. In this movie, they wanted to show the audience the werewolf transformation and friend, Jack's, deteriorating state. The rest of the movie was pretty good, too.

Psycho (1960)
The Hitchcock movie that made every woman afraid of taking a shower. It may not be very scary by today's standards, but it was downright frightening in the 1960's.

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966)
Not my personal favorite, but the kids love it. And it's a tradition, I suppose.

Casper (1995)
Casper, the friendly ghost, made it to the big screen. He befriends the daughter of a paranormal expert who moves into the house where he and his three ghostly uncles reside.

The Witches (1990)
This family movie is based on a book that I have yet to read. Witches think children smell like dog poop and turn them into mice. Then, one little mouse-child gets the best of them. It's not how big you are, it's how smart you are.

Hocus Pocus (1993)
Another one of my favorite witch movies. I love when kids get revenge on adults. It helps keep things in check and keeps us adults on our toes.

Monster House (2006)
Monster House gives you a good reason to stay off of that old man's lawn. You never know if his departed wife's spirit has taken over his house and will devour you if ever come in. Best heed his warning...

Wasting Away aka Aaah! Zombies! (2007)
A zombie movie in which the zombies don't know they're zombies. It's completely silly and told mostly from the zombie's perspective as they try to understand why they are being chased, gunned down, and are soooo hungry! Mmmm, brains...

Clue (1985)
I knew every word to this movie when I was a kid and it is probably the one movie my mom will never watch again. It's another one of my guilty pleasure movies. It's a mystery and that's why it is on my list. Don't judge me.

The Amityville Horror (1979)
Supposedly based on true events, The Amityville Horror takes you through the terrifying events that the Lutz family experienced in their short stay in the haunted house.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Another movie that is scary because people may not be what they seem. I especially love this movie for the ending.

Slither (2006)
I love movies that add humor to their horror and Slither is one of those. When I saw Grabbers, I immediately thought of Slither because of the similarity in style.

28 Days Later (2002)
I think this was one of the best post-apocalyptic zombie worlds ever created for a movie. It revealed all sides of human nature and inspired countless other movies and television shows, like the Walking Dead.

Friday the 13th (1980)
It was Mrs. Vorhees! Sorry to give away the ending, but I hate it when people blame poor Jason for all that carnage. I know we all laugh when it happens now, but the big reveal of finding all the bodies was genius in 1980.

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Freddy will get you in your dreams! What a great idea! A person who can kill you in your sleep. And it was all your parent's fault! Even better.

I hope you enjoyed my list and that it inspires you to make your own. Please tell me your favorites so that I can compile a second "Favorite's List"! I look forward to hearing from you! Happy Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment